Julian Selvanayagam

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A Malaysian Adventure

I was born in Kuala Lipis on the 19th of January, 1939--just before the outbreak of the 2nd World War.

Kuala Lipis was the State capital of the State of Pahang, Malaya. It was a lovely little town, nestled among the the hills of the Main Range mountains (Titiwangsa) of Malaya. It was a place tucked away among the lush, green, tropical rain forest. The town was built on the confluence of 2 major rivers of the country--the Pahang River, and the Jelai River. These rivers were full of fresh fish, and ideal for fishing, swimming, and boating--but there was also the danger of crocodiles!

Kuala Lipis had all the facilities of a State capital, but the town itself was small! The main part of the town was made up of 3 streets. Main Street was on higher ground, and Jelai Street was on lower ground, and it was on the bank of the Jelai River. It was in the shape of a crescent. And directly in the middle, was Cross Street. It connected the Main Street to the Jelai Street. At the point where Main Street and Cross Street connected, was an open space. This was the place where the Bus Station was located. And next to it, was the Railway Station. On one end of Main Street, was the Market and the Post Office, at the other end of the Main Street was the Police Station and the Fire Brigade Station. Main Street was where you could get all your groceries, provisions, photographic equipment, stationery, tailors and sewing materials, jewellers, and so on. Jelai Street was where you would find all of the craftsmen--tin and iron smiths, cobblers, tailors, carpenters, etc. And Cross Street was the delight of every child--that was where you found the hawkers, ice cream and iced-drinks, food stalls, and all kinds of preserved fruits to satisfy the variety of different tastes!

This was the town that my Papa had chosen to come to live in. This was 1926, and Papa had come all the way from Ceylon (Sri Lanka).

5 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Moeh said...

I have 2 pictures of Pahang State Council which I got from the daughter of a British officer. The pictures were taken in 1940 and 1955/6. Could you help me to verify the names of those in the pictures? Or, did you know anybody who can help me to figure out the names?

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Moeh said...

if you can, say hello to me through my email: ammbakat@hotmail.com thanks!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger julvim said...

Dear Moeh,
I am sorry that I lost my blog because I could not remember my Password. With a friend's help,it was finally retrieved.
So I will start to write again in April.I would love to be in contact with you and share of our experiences in Kuala lipis.I would love to see the photo taken in 1940 and 1955/6. Memories!!! Julian.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger kalakad s s mani said...

Dear Mr.Julian,

By the grace of God, I landed at your blog, and I am just floating. I felt happy reading about the 3 streets of Kuala Lipis! Yes, though I was too small when I lived there, I am sure I also must have enjoyed the scenes described by you, though my time was a little........little later: to be precise, I was born there in 1954 and returned to India in 1958 with mother, elder sister and yoiunger brother. Father continued to live there, but I am not sure where all he went! We are tamil brahmins from Kalakad in Tirunelveli dt, Tamil nadu. My parents were Subbier and Bhavani ammal. If they are, by any chance known to you, I will be the happiest person on earth.

Any how thanks a lot for a very nice write up of my birth place.

God bless you and your family.

S.S.Mani (airomatic@gmail.com)

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger waida.mn said...

Good afternoon, Sir.

I was born and still living in Kuala Lipis since 1992. I'm reading this post on Sept 2015. Would you please continue this postings? I would like to know more.

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home